Sharon Wheeler's ScarWork
Scars can be a sensitive topic. A lot of people have scars and they can be acquired in a number of ways. Regardless of what we think of them, they may be impacting us more than we realise.
A lot of people accept how they look and therefore almost forget about them, however others struggle with pain and discomfort, experience numbness or are negatively impacted by their appearance.
Scar Work techniques can be used on old or recent scars that have occurred due to accidents, surgical procedures or burns.
- Helping to reduce pain, discomfort and restrictions in the immediate and surrounding areas of the body
- Improving the scar appearance
- Nerve impaired numbness may also be improved
Good to know
- Old and recent scars can be worked on
- A number of treatments are likely to be required and you can expect to see both cosmetic and functional changes.
- The time between treatments will be informed by the age of the scar.
- Scar Work is rarely painful
- At least 10 weeks or approval from a consultant is required before treatment can commence on scars linked to surgery.
- Scar Work on recent surgery scars can assist with optimum healing
- The therapeutic touch element can also benefit coming to terms with any changes on an emotional level too.
- The improvements are permanent*
Interested in the science bit?
Scar tissue has different properties to our other soft tissues and it behaves differently.
As wounds heal, the damaged tissue is replaced by a denser, stronger and less elastic scar tissue. In many cases this scar will restrict movement and create discomfort in the surrounding areas of the body.
Underneath the surface, scar tissue often attaches itself to other structures and organs and these adhesions can cause ongoing problems that are unrelated to the original surgery or accident.
A number of techniques have been developed by Sharon Wheeler to help integrate the tissues, restore movement and improve the appearance.
The techniques are very gentle and it is amazing how different an area of the body affected by a scar can feel after a few treatments. I speak from personal experience.
ACL reconstruction - Foot reconstruction - Shoulder - Cesarean - Hysterectomy - Bone repair - Appendix removal - Breast reconstruction procedures - Trauma caused by vehicle accidents